In this darkly surrealistic yet surprisingly humorous drama set somewhere between dreams and reality, one of Poland’s foremost contemporary playwrights takes us deep into the hearts of a father and son and asks us to consider what we are responsible for in the wake of enormous national tragedy. Inspired by the true story of Michel Leleu, the son of a French Jew murdered at Auschwitz who recognized his father’s suitcase at an exhibition on the Shoah.
STAGE RAW Recommended!
“BLATANTLY THEATRICAL… a most unusual, interesting play” — Paul Myrvold, Theatre Notes
“A heartbreaking, disturbing probe into atrocity and accountability… a fresh and stimulating new way of treating the past. ” — Eric Gordon, People’s World
• Written by Małgorzata Sikorska-Miszczuk
• Translated from the Polish by Artur Zapałowski
• Directed by Samuel Hunter
• Starring Vincent Castellanos, Alexandra Freeman, Claire Kaplan,Eric Keitel, Jeff Alan-Lee, Sigute Miller
• Presented by The Echo Theater Company
Performances: Aug. 3 – Aug. 25
• Wednesdays at 8 p.m.: Aug. 3 (opening), 10. 17, 24
• Thursdays at 8 p.m.: Aug. 4, 11, 18, 25